Monday, July 11, 2011

if grace is an ocean, then we're all sinking

I am convinced the heart of God resides on earth in community.

It was wonderful to take time off and go to a family reunion and the mennonite convention (not one in the same ;) ). My dad's side of the family is pretty sweet because there are so many cousins and everyone wants to stay connected. It has become a gathering that happens every 2yrs now. This year (after my cousins' wedding!) only 60 were able to attend-- and yes, i did say "only". Each and every person has their own story to tell, which is amazing- I love hearing these! The most intriguing conversations were with relatives that do work abroad. It is so enlightening to hear about foreign cultures and how they fit into them. The best was understanding The Word better by hearing about the culture that fits with it. (feel free to message me with more on this)

During the course of the weekend, the annual silent auction happen, volleyball tournments, scrabble, board games, card games, puzzles and mind twisters. There was the talent show (yes, my family has immense talent, no lie), swimming, hiking, and eating. My cousins and I had a wonderful time returning to a waterfall we creek-walked last reunion. Unfortunately there has been a lack of rainfall so the waterfall was unbearably easy to walk up. In other words, there wasn't a waterfall, just a trickle...

Moment to moment:
It was children's time at family worship on the Lost Coin and the adult asks the kids if the coins they are holding are valuable. Kids agree. Adult asks kids whats most valuable to God. One kid exclaims with every enthusiastic bone of their body-- "Money!"

photos to be uploaded on facebook... stay tuned.

The Mennonite Convention was like a reunion in many aspects. As I gathered up materials to represent PULSE and walk through the first door, a movie scene suddenly becomes my life. You know those scenes where one person looks through the crowd and discovers another and they run and embrace? Guys roll their eyes, girls gush. Such a movie. Well, as it turns out I walked in through the first convention doors, turn my head and my eyes fall on my wonderful boyfriend. We caught eyes but there was no running involved. Hm the contentment found after missing seeing someone for a long time...

As the first evening went on, I continued to run into old friends. Church friends, camp friends, college friends, parents of friends, ... It was such a blessing. Being known and having a form of connection is a human desire. we all desire to be understood and known. I even connected with people I didnt know simply by knowing where they were from. "You're from Wooster, Oh? I've been there! I have friends from .. do you know the ... ?" Many people know this as "the Mennonite Game". I think it's because right off the bat, Mennonites intentionally go out of their way to connect. I like this a lot.

The key speaker who brought the message of reconcilliation said the following; most people in the church become polarized because they are either focused on justice or purity. One pursue justice for others at all costs, declaring the Name of Jesus for the victims. The other pursues purity in Christ at all costs, claiming we're straying from what we stand for and lovingly calling out brothers and sisters. Both are needed in the church, but when they collide, it is a brutal thing. the umbrella that most reside above these innate passions must be reconciliation. find a bridge, build a bridge, cross the bridge to the cross.

Moment to moment:
It's like everyone who is a follower of Christ has a string hanging down from heaven that attaches them to God. When they sin, the string is cut. When they ask for forgiveness and healing, God knots the string back together, which makes it just a little bit shorter than it was before. Therefore, sinners are closer to him than saints.

Moment to moment:
As mennonites we do a lot, but don't say a lot. We need to be more bold with our words.


And finally I am reminded of song lyrics. As i struggle with what is the next step in my life, since PULSE ends in three weeks, I am finding myself overwhelmed at times. And then the beautiful song lyrics dance by my sinking spirit:
If grace is an ocean, then we're all sinking.

grace and peace, my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment