Wednesday, August 3, 2011

HCH

Abigail Stern, BSW
Case Manager

Or so that's what it reads on my new business cards :) Today was my first day of work, but I've had first days before on the job. First day of camp. First day of being a store clerk. First day of catering, of calling alumni, of library work, of waitressing, and of voluntary service. So the idea of "first job" was not fully on my mind, despite my lovely parents and Shawn both instilling this thought into me. So to be completely fair, this was my first day of work at a full time professional paid job -- try writing that on a resume.

The day didn't start as ideal as one would create in their dreams. I woke up to a sore throat and rainy day outside. The positive side of that? I slept till my alarm went off because the sun didn't wake me up and it was a cooler day overall. :)

It was great taking my time, doing devotions and eating breakfast, and not worrying about when to catch the bus in the morning. For PULSE, I had a 40 minute bus ride to work and had to be at the bus stop at a certain time to make sure to be at work in decent time (sorry, that was a mouthful). The bus also was chaotic in many ways-- seat shuffling, lots of stops, jammed packed days, lots of distractions, etc. I actually got use to my time on the bus this past year, but for once I enjoyed the fact I didn't need it. Today was me driving to work in ten minutes. (Of note, there is a reason I am driving, but that would be getting ahead of my story...)

I am the new case manager for Health Care for the Homeless, an agency that is supported through a bigger non-profit health system. As the sole full-time case manager, my job is to go to the free clinics across the city (ie. why I need to drive to my office, so I can then drive to clinics) and provide case management for those who seek it. Stay tuned for more of what my job entails, as I will be learning on the spot these coming weeks, but basically I am there to fill the holes. People who are living on the street don't as easily know about the opportunities out there to help them get back on their feet, so I will provide referrals, goal planning, etc. to bring about renewal. Renewal. I like that word.

You can for sure be praying for me. People are going to be looking to me for help and I want so desperately to have all the answers, which I know I won't always. And sometimes, there just isn't an answer to life's problems, but that can't slow (us) down. I am not one to give up easily, and I know someone greater who isn't one to give up-- ever...

As a final note, my day is going to end on a very positive note-- my housemates informed me they are making me dinner in celebration of my first day! When I heard this, I was so touched- how thoughtful! I am so blessed to have such caring friends. Thanks Anna and Maggie :) Best first-day-of-work-at-a-full-time-professional-paid-job, ever! :D